Name of the Department: STATISTICS
Email Address of Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of establishment of the department: 1995
Brief History about the Department:
The Department started three-year degree course on 15th of July, 1995 with the inception of the Science stream in the College. The department got affiliation for Part – I and Part – II from Gauhati University for General course in the year 1995–96 and 1996-97 respectively. After three years that is in the year 2000 the Department was accorded TDC Part – I and Part – II concurrence from the Government of Assam for General Course.
Initially two faculty members were appointed in the Department. They were Mrs Sangeeta Chaudhury (HOD) and Mr Gautam Chaudhury. However, both of them left the college for better job prospects.
The department was provincialized in the year 2013. At present, there are three full time faculty members and one full time Bearer in the Department headed by Dr Jumi Kalita.
Courses Offered: Presently the Department offers both Honours and Regular Courses.
Intake Capacity: (General Course): 100
(Honours Course): 30
Name and Designation of the Faculty:
(1) Dr Jumi Kalita (HOD), M.Sc., Ph.D.
Assistant Proffessor (20 years’ experience)
(2) Dr Rijusmita Sarma, M.Sc., Ph.D
Assistant Proffessor (25 years’ experience)
(3) Dr Pranjal Sarma, M.Sc., Ph.D
Assistant Proffessor (24 years’ experience)
Facilities Available in the Department for the Students:
• The Department has a well-equipped Computer Lab with LAN facility.
• All the computers of the Lab are equipped with MS Windows 10/11 operating system.
• Computers are loaded with IBM SPSS 26.0 Licensed version.
• The Department has Projector, used for taking ICT enabled classes as well as Seminar presentation by students.
• The Department has a Seminar Library with a good number of books including books of some of the renowned Statistician, which students can avail for their use.
• The Department also has a collection of Statistical Tables and a number of Scientific Calculators, required for any Statistical Analysis.
• There is provision for need based Tutorial classes in the department.
• Field visit/ Educational tours for students are organized on regular basis to impart hands on training on preparation of questionnaire and primary data collection.
• Teacher guides students in Project preparation, Seminar Presentation.
• Students get opportunity to publish their writings in the Departmental Wall Magazine.
• The Department conducts seminar presentation programme for the students in each semester.
• The Department observes National Statistics Day to create awareness about importance of Statistics in day to day life as well as creating awareness about it’s use in the field of Planning among the students.
Results of the Department: (Honours Course: Last three years)
Year Pass percentage Div/Class(in%) 20118-2019 100% I (100%)
20119-2020 100% I (100%)
2020-2021 100% I (100%)
Value Added Courses:
The Department offers two Value Added Courses namely
i) Computer Basics and Mathematica
ii) Basic Statistics in Research Methodology Using MS-Excel and SPSS
Students may undergo these courses just by paying Rs. 50/Rs.200.
Future Plans of the Department:
• The Department has plan to start a Certificate Course on Application of SPSS.
• The Department has a plan to conduct a survey on “Mental and Physical Well-being
of Womenfolk in Adopted Village”.
|Syllabus of the Department of Statistics (Honours and Regular)||2022-06-30||View File|